Thursday, August 20, 2009

moment

there was a moment today that simply broke my heart. in the midst of this moment, i made a choice that i now realize i will live with for the rest of my days.

i had just finished loading the eight cornish females into the transport coop when sir beau peep sent out a call. it stopped me dead in my tracks. i had never heard such a call from this rooster - it was not a crow - it was a cry - a heartfelt cry - i knew it was a call of sincere feeling - one of deep emotion and one of plea to me - asking me not to take the girls away.

at that moment i could no longer question a ponder i had pondered about the possibility of true lasting relationships between chickens. it was more than clear that beau peep was connected to the girls.

i paused for a long while... my heart thumping with a lump in my throat. i nearly cried but bit it back - then i continued. i continued to load the girls in the car. and i drove off questioning my action with every mile that passed.

it was at that moment that i knew i would move sir beau peep, lucky 13 and the two remaining cornish girls in with the layers. it was at that moment that i decided to sing sweetly to the girls the while of the ride to austintown - not only for their comfort but for my own. i knew then that i could not replace the girls he had grown to love but i could provide comfort of community and companionship with the layers he had long lived next door to.

it was at that moment that i realized chickens really do fall in love.

No comments: